There are so many diets out there, and finding the right one can be difficult. One popular diet is keto and many studies have suggested the food that is consumed on the diet plan contributes to feeling fuller for longer. To add to this, people report losses within the first week of anywhere from 1lb to 10lbs or more. The larger you are, the more water weight you’re likely to lose after starting keto. But what is keto – and what foods can you eat? Anna Tebbs, Recipe Development Manager at Green Chef answered some of the most common questions about the keto diet and provided some tasty keto-friendly recipes.
What is keto diet?
Anna said: “The ketogenic ‘keto’ diet is high in fat, low in carbohydrates and contains moderate consumption of protein.”
What to eat on keto diet?
“You can enjoy a range of foods on the diet plan to help increase ‘good’ fats into your diet while reducing your carbohydrates and sugars,” she added.
“For example, non-starchy vegetables, such as avocados, are a great source of ‘good’ fats and fish, fresh meat, nuts and seeds are ideal protein products.”
Chicken Parmigiana with rocket salad and garlic green beans
The recipe serves two and there are 611 calories per serving, with 35g of fat, 59g of protein and 12g of carbs.
Two chicken breast
5g of chicken stock paste
20g of Parmigiano Reggiano
One garlic clove
One pack of finely chopped tomatoes with garlic and onion
One ball of mozzarella
80g of green beans
40g of rocket
1. Preheat your oven to 220 ° C / 200 ° C fan / gas mark seven. Put each chicken breast between two pieces of baking paper and, using a rolling pin or heavy saucepan, pound the chicken until it is no more than one to two centimeters thick. Season with salt and pepper. Important: wash your hands after handling raw chicken and its packaging.
2. Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Once hot, brown the chicken breasts on one side for four to five minutes, reducing the heat if necessary. Flip and cook for four to five minutes more on the other side. Transfer to a medium sized ovenproof dish.
3. While the chicken cooks heat a medium saucepan on medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Add the chopped tomatoes and chicken stock paste. Stir together, then bring to a boil and simmer until thick, four to five minutes. If you’d like to, season with salt and pepper. Drain the mozzarella, then pat it dry and tear it into pieces.
4. Pour the thickened sauce over the chicken, then cover with mozzarella and half the Parmigiano Reggiano. Bake on the top shelf of your oven until the cheese is golden and the chicken is cooked through 12-15 mins. Important: the chicken is cooked when no longer pink in the middle.
5. Meanwhile, trim the green beans. Peel and grate the garlic (or use a garlic press). Wash your frying pan and put it back on medium-high heat with a drizzle of oil. Once hot, fry the green beans until starting to brown, three to four minutes. If you’d like to, season with salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic and add a splash of water. Cover the pan and cook until tender, two to three minutes.
6. Slice the chicken parmigiana widthways and serve with the garlic green beans and the rocket. Drizzle the olive oil for the dressing (see ingredients for amount) over the rocket, and sprinkle it with the remaining Parmigiano Reggiano.