The following article is a part of conference coverage from the IDWeek 2021, being held virtually from September 29 to October 3, 2021. The team at Infectious Disease Advisor will be reporting on the latest news and research conducted by leading experts in the field. Check back for more from the IDWeek 2021.
Compared with placebo, treatment with tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF) was associated with a significantly increased likelihood for weight loss in patients who were negative for HIV infection, according to research presented at IDWeek, held virtually from September 29 to October 3, 2021.
Researchers searched PubMed, Embase, and clinicaltrials.gov to identify 7 randomized controlled trials on HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis that compared the effects of treatment with TDF vs emtricitabine (FTC) or TDF vs placebo in patients (N=19,359) who were negative for HIV infection. The primary endpoint included the number of patients who experienced either a greater than 5% weight decrease or an abnormal loss of weight. A Mantel-Haenszel test with random-effects modeling was used to calculate odds ratio (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (95% CI). Additional analyses were undertaken to determine the number of gastrointestinal (GI) adverse events, including nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, and diarrhea.
Of patients included in the final analysis, treatment with TDF was associated with a significantly increased likelihood for weight loss compared with placebo (OR, 1.44; 95% CI, 1.12-1.85; P =.005). On analysis of GI adverse events, the researchers found that treatment with TDF was associated with significantly increased rates of vomiting (OR, 1.91; 95% CI, 1.20-2.73; P <.005); however, there were no associations found between TDF treatment and an increased risk for nausea, diarrhea, or loss of appetite.
“Further research should be carried out [among patients with positive HIV infection], and clinical trials [that compare] TDF [with] FTC should publish weight data to widen the evidence base,” the researchers concluded.
Shah S, Pilkington V, Hill A. Use of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate shows weight loss vs placebo: a meta-analysis of 7 clinical trials in 19,359 HIV-negative individuals. Presented at: IDWeek; September 29 to October 3, 2021. Poster 882.